Sunday, February 7, 2010
Classroom Library
I have thought about this time after time. I am totally on board with a huge, complete and ever changing classroom library. I think that they are vitally important. One fear I do have is that I am in no situation to have one when I start. I have talked to other teachers about this, and they have given me ideas; posting a need for books on craigs list, sending letters home to parents informing them that you are in need of books, if they are getting rid of any books they could instead donate them to your classroom. Many people donate books to goodwill and by posting ads they could donate them to your classroom, or other schools. I also love the idea of making your library inviting and "beautiful" as mentioned in our book. I have seen a library decorated in themes with bean bags in corners so it is comfortable and inviting for students to grab a book and just sit there and read. Paper trees with branches hanging from the ceiling to create an escape from the typical classroom. I am starting to build up a childrens library that I can continue to add to througout my teaching career. It is a little more difficult than I expected because I do not know all of the great books out there. It is definitely a learning experience.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Resourceful! I also, in my first year and thereafter, went to the school librarian and said, "I need 200 books for my classroom library. I promise to rotate them." She helped me get a range of levels and genres, and about once a week thereafter I had two students, my classroom librarians, gather maybe 20 each to be rotated when we visited the library. This helped keep our classroom library current at zero cost. :)
ReplyDeleteHi Betsy -- I agree with you about classroom libraries. Our course readings and discussions have really spawned some new thoughts for me on establishing a vibrant, diverse collection of books, as well as authentic opportunities to use it. Click on my blogspot for more on my thoughts.
ReplyDelete